Monday, July 1, 2024

Europe 2024 WW2 Tour

It's been YEARS since I added anything to this Blog - and I thought it might be time to pick up the thread, once again!

My dear wife Pat, and I, were recently in Europe on a WW2 battlefield tour. It was one of those bus-bound affairs - which we thoroughly enjoyed - with 24 other Americans and an amazing German bus driver. The  two of us started on the battlefield of Waterloo, Belgium, then joined the group in Amsterdam in the Netherlands. Our tour took us from WW2 Amsterdam, through coastal Belgium to the beaches of Normandy and, ultimately, Paris. 

Bunkers, bomb craters, bones and baguettes - oh my! What a fantastic trip.

I decided that I was not going to take many photos - Pat did that - and made it a point of doing a sketch nearly every day, and sometimes made several. The sketches are my souvenirs from the 3-week experience.

In many cases, the sketch was started on location - usually while I was standing - and took about 15 to 20 minutes to nail down the basics. The finish work was usually done in a cafe, our hotel room, on the bus or on the airplane heading home.

I have included all 42 of them here, in order, as they currently look; I might possibly add details to a few of them, later . . . . or not.

















































1 comment:

  1. I like your style! Particularly enjoy the pencil on neutral color paper with some white highlights, very classical technique and fitting for the subjects of your drawings. Very cool to see the catacomb sketches after having just listened to the latest podcast episode!

    ReplyDelete